Government of Brunei Darussalam Scholarship Award Scheme 2018/2019
Deadline: February 28, 2018
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade invites applications for the Government of Brunei Darussalam Scholarship Award Scheme for the 2018/2019 academic session. Tenable in Brunei Darussalam, the scholarship award provides applicants with the opportunity to study at any one of the institutions of higher education in Brunei Darussalam.
The academic year commences July/August 2018 and are tenable in one of the following institutions of higher education
- Universiti Brunei Darussalam (UBD),
- Universiti Islam Sultan Sharif Ali (UNISSA),
- Universiti Teknologi Brunei (UTB) and
- Politeknik Brunei (PB).
The scholarship recipient will be facilitated with the benefits of the scholarship as follows:
- exemption from paying tuition fees including acceptance, examination, registration and orientation fees for the duration of the programme;
- an economy class air-ticket to Brunei Darussalam from the scholarship recipient’s country of origin/ country of domicile prior to the commencement of the course and an economy class air-ticket from Brunei Darussalam to the scholarship recipient’s country of origin/country of domicile upon completion of the course;
- a monthly personal allowance of BND$500.00;
- a monthly meals allowance of BND$150.00;
- an annual book allowance of BND$600.00;
- accommodation at the residential college of the University/ Polytechnic;
- baggage allowance for shipment of the scholarship recipient’s personal effects to his country of origin/country of domicile upon completion of the programme, at a maximum amount of:
- BND$250.00 to a country within the ASEAN region; or
- BND$500.00 to a country outside the ASEAN region;
- comprehensive insurance cover for the whole duration of the Scholarship. The scholarship recipient is urged to obtain additional insurance prior to his travel to Brunei Darussalam and for the whole duration of the Scholarship at his own expense.
- Applications are open to citizens of, but not limited to, ASEAN, Commonwealth and OIC member countries.
- Applicants should be nominated by their Government.
- Applicants must be certified to be medically fit to undertake the scholarship and to study in Brunei Darussalam, by a qualified medical practitioner who is registered with any Government Authority(ies) prior to arrival in Brunei Darussalam. Any and all costs incurred in obtaining this certification are to be borne by the applicant.
- Applicants must be, between the ages of 18-25 for undergraduate and diploma programmes and must not exceed the age of 35 for postgraduate programmes on the 31stJuly 2018.
- The award is NOT eligible to Brunei Darussalam Permanent Residents.
The full listing of the terms and conditions of the scholarship will be provided to the applicant once the application is successful and a scholarship is offered. A declaration will be required to be signed confirming understanding and agreement to these terms and conditions upon acceptance of the scholarship.
- This scholarship shall not be held concurrently with any other scholarship, fellowship, grant or loan without the prior approval of the Ministry of Foreign Affairsand Trade. This scholarship may be terminated or revoked immediately should the scholarship recipient be found holding another scholarship, fellowship, grant or loan without prior written approval of the Ministry.
- A scholarship recipient is not encouraged to bring any family members with him for the duration of the Scholarship. No marriage allowance nor child allowance is payable to the scholarship recipient and no accommodation will be provided to any accompanying spouse, child or children.
- A scholarship recipient is not permitted to undertake any paid employment or to serve on the staff of any country’s representative mission in Brunei Darussalam during the duration of the scholarship.
- A scholarship recipient is required to:
- conform to all the rules and regulations underlying this Scholarship;
- abide by the rules and regulations of his University/ Polytechnic;
- respect the customs, culture and official religion of Brunei Darussalam;
- obey all the laws and regulations of Brunei Darussalam;
- refrain from engaging in political activities;
- undergo health screening in Brunei Darussalam if deemed necessary by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
- Upon completion of the programme, the scholarship recipient will be required to leave Brunei Darussalam with immediate effect.
Programmes offered, entry qualifications and any further information are available from the following websites:
- Universiti Brunei Darussalam
- Universiti Islam Sultan Sharif Ali
- Universiti Teknologi Brunei– utb.edu.bn
- Politeknik Brunei
- Application forms must be duly completed and endorsed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or the National Focal Point for scholarships of the applicant’s country.
- Applicants are required to also submit a security clearance statement from their National Security Agency(ies)/ Police Station (i.e. a statement/ report certifying that applicants are clear from any civil and criminal charges).
- Application forms can be downloaded here: APPLICATION FORM 2018-2019
- Applicants applying to Univeristi Brunei Darussalam must also complete an online application.
- Completed application forms are to be emailed to: [email protected]
For more information, visit Government of Brunei Darussalam Scholarship.